Thursday, January 22, 2015

Cherry Bourbon Manhattan

Cherry Bourbon Manhattan

Valentine's Day is coming up soon and, for some reason, I always associate it with cherries. Maybe because I've gotten too many chocolate covered cherries as V-Day gifts? That's humor, of course, because there's no such thing as too many chocolate covered cherries. Nevertheless, it's not cherry season yet so I wondered if cherry preserves would make a good substitute in a cocktail.

Cherry Bourbon Manhattan
As I was shopping for the ingredients, though, I spotted them - fresh cherries! Since New York is currently covered in a thick layer of frost, these were obviously imported from somewhere. My normal inclination is to buy local and in season but I just had to try a few to see.

I should have gone with my instincts, though, because they didn't have the sweet cherry punch I'm used to. Fortunately I'd also bought the preserves and they're a happy new ingredient in my drinks. Cheers!

Per Serving:
2 oz. Bourbon
1 oz. Lemon juice
1/2 oz. Dry vermouth
2 Tablespoons cherry preserves
Dash of Angostura bitters
Leaves from 1 sprig of thyme (optional)

Combine all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker. Fill with ice and give it a heavy shake to break up the preserves. Pour into a cocktail glass and garnish with a fresh cherry or sprig of thyme, if desired.

2 comments:

  1. I just put cherry preserves on the grocery list!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea including preserves! Sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete