Thursday, July 24, 2014

Golden Kiwi Cocktail

Golden Kiwi Cocktail

Delivery people who come to my door usually have to contend with an eager tail wagger who assumes that they are there to play with her.  But today, the man who delivered my Fresh Direct weekly grocery order also had to contend with me practically ripping the boxes out of his arms.

Golden Kiwi Cocktail
My apologies if either of us frightened him but today's order contained SunGold kiwis and I couldn't wait to get to them.  Last week I had the good fortune to attend a cocktail party thrown by Zespri, the growers of the new golden variety and I got to taste their kiwi-tini.  I have to admit that it never occurred to me to make a drink out of kiwis but that is a huge error on my part.  I loved it from the first sip and, by the time I was done drinking, knew I had to get my hands on the new kiwis.

They're sweeter and juicier than their green cousins and the drink is a perfect balance of that wonderful sweet and sour taste that lingers and makes you want another.  When I placed my Fresh Direct order this week, I saw they had the new kiwis and that's what led to my accosting the poor man at my door.  I hope he's over it because I'm sitting here sipping my drink and relaxing.  Cheers!

Per Serving:
1 SunGold Kiwifruit
1 1/2 oz. Vodka
1/2 oz. Lime juice
1/2 oz. Simple syrup

Slice the kiwi in half and, using a spoon, scoop out the insides and add to a cocktail shaker.  Add the vodka, lime juice and simple syrup and muddle until the fruit has broken down.  Fill with ice, shake well and pour into a chilled cocktail glass.  Garnish with a slice of lime and a slice of kiwi, if desired.

7 comments:

  1. I must try to find these - I hope I can. I like really sweet fruit and since these are sweeter, I think I will like them better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Golden kiwis are hard to find but so worth the search. I'm definitely going to try this drink, thanks for sharing. Great photos btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the delicious taste of kiwi for my smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so delicious and by the way I love Golden Kiwi Cocktail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kiwi is my favorite! I didn't know you could do cocktails with it, I need to try asap :-)

    ReplyDelete