Thursday, April 17, 2014

Gin and Cucumber Smash

Gin and Cucumber Smash

The first time I heard of cucumbers being used in a cocktail, I was both intrigued and doubtful.  I mean, I really love cucumbers but the thought of drinking them seemed so odd.  But I guess the intrigued part won out because I looked up a recipe and quickly threw together the drink.  Nope.  Not remotely appealing.  Bitter and overly savory, it was more medicine than delightful refreshment.  I shelved the idea.

Gin and Cucumber Smash
Lately, though, the intrigue has taken over again and I decided to spend some time playing around with it.  I replaced the typical harsh lime with the softer note of lemon and added some sweetness from the simple syrup.  It still needed something more but everything I thought of would just overwhelm the cucumber.  Then I thought that since I'm using gin, I'm nearly at a martini so why not go ahead and add the quintessential martini enhancer which is vermouth.  Just a touch did the trick and the formerly unappealing cucumber drink was now a refreshing beverage.  You might even say it became a little too easy to drink, if you know what I mean.  Cheers!

Per Serving:
2 oz. Gin
1/2 oz. Sweet vermouth
1/2 oz. Lemon juice
1/2 oz. Simple syrup
5 Thin slices cucumber plus extra for garnish

Add the gin, vermouth, lemon juice, simple syrup and cucumbers to a cocktail shaker.  Muddle the cucumbers, add ice and shake well.  Pour into a chilled cocktail glass and garnish with additional slices of cucumber, if desired.

4 comments:

  1. Yum! Sounds great. One of my new favorite cocktails is a spicy cucumber drink at Chart House restaurant. It has a sweet/spicy rim. I'll definitely be giving your recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How pretty and fresh looking - Gin is a favorite so I must try this out very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cucumber & gin, classic British. Great idea to add lemon & Vermouth, that will be our cocktail on Saturday. Thanks! Nicole @ thejameskitchen.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing blog and very interesting stuff you got here! I definitely learned a lot from reading through some of your earlier posts as well and decided to drop a comment on this one!

    ReplyDelete