Thursday, April 24, 2014

Mint Julep

Mint Julep

The famous Kentucky Derby has been run on the first Saturday in May since 1875.  And though the race itself only lasts about two minutes, the festivities and traditions make for a big party.

Mint Julep
There are lots of roses to symbolize the wreath of roses that the winning horse will wear.  Ladies dress up in lovely hats and folks sip mint juleps.  Sadly, I won't be in Kentucky for the race or be donning a fancy hat.  But I'm happy to lend my support by sipping a bourbon drink.  In fact, I'm all for supporting before, during and after the event as well.  Cheers!

Per Serving:
2 oz. Bourbon
4 Fresh mint sprigs
2 Level teaspoons powdered sugar
2 Teaspoons water

Muddle the mint, sugar and water in a glass.  (If you don't have a muddler, the back of a wooden spoon works fine.) Add ice and pour in the bourbon.  Garnish with an additional sprig of mint, if desired.


4 comments:

  1. Sadly, I've never been to Kentucky to attend the derby but I can totally support by drinking these wonderful cocktails! Love your pretty glasses, Anita!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so refreshing! The Derby will be here next Saturday and we will be watching..........with these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooooove bourbon and I always make sure to keep it around the house. I want to grow mint in my garden so that I can make mint-centric cocktails all summer long. I'll start with these mint juleps - that looks fantastic, Anita! It's almost 5pm so I could go for a few glasses right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing blog and very interesting stuff you got here! I definitely learned a lot from reading through some of your earlier posts as well and decided to drop a comment on this one!

    ReplyDelete