Thursday, November 13, 2014

The Maple Leaf

The Maple Leaf

If you're not a bourbon drinker or don't have much experience with it, I can tell you that this is the cocktail that made me a fan.  It was on the specialty drinks menu at a great local restaurant a few years ago and it was just odd enough to be compelling.

The Maple Leaf
It never occurred to me, before this, that a savory herb like thyme could so enhance a drink.  And I worried that the maple syrup would be, well, syrupy.  But all fears were completely unfounded.

All the flavors work in perfect harmony and are now ingredients I frequently use in other drinks as well.  But this is the one that started it all.  And that side of crispy bacon is the perfect snack to go with it.  Maple bacon would be even better. Cheers!

Per Serving:
2 1/2 oz. Bourbon
1 oz. Maple syrup
1 oz. Lemon juice
1 Dash of Angostura Bitters
2 Sprigs fresh Thyme

Combine the bourbon, maple syrup, lemon juice, bitters and the leaves from the thyme sprigs in a cocktail shaker.  Muddle the thyme a bit, fill with ice and shake well.  You can serve this straight up or on the rocks to tame down the strength a bit.

6 comments:

  1. I'm not a bourbon drinker and yet that gorgeous beverage is calling out to me to give it a try. I'll take your word for it (plus I LOVE thyme).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to drink bourbon and Coke when I was young and liked to overdo things, so I haven't sipped it in years and years. This drink may change all that, Anita. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a bourbon girl and Maker's Mark is one of my favorites so this would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love everything in this cocktail. Looking forward to trying it out. And having a bacon snack...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to ask, do you keep the leaves of thyme inside the drink or strain them out. I make this and love it, but as I chew on the little pieces of thyme, i wonder if better to try to strain them out. Or not. Love it anyway, been a go to winter cocktail for me since I saw this. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susie - I'm so glad you like the drink because it's one of my all time favorites. My cocktail shaker has a strainer so most of the thyme leaves get trapped in there and don't make their way into the glass. If yours doesn't then I would use a small strainer. Cheers!

      Delete